Updated: Jan 29
About Freight Units-
To fulfill the customers requirement a sales order is punched in the SAP ERP system with single item or multiple items with same delivery date or different delivery dates with different schedule lines depending on the material availability date.. So for transporting these goods to the customers place different factors needs to consider like -
1) Capacity of the truck- If the material quantities exceeds the truck capacity then single schedule line may needs to split or two schedule lines can be combined together if capacity is available.
2) Other factors- Due to different temperature requirement, dangerous goods, material type of the product two items can not be transported together in same truck.
So considering all the factors , freight units are created that groups items that can be transported together.
Freight units are -
Smallest unit of freight and used for freight planning
A set of goods that can be transported together
Used to merge items that can be transported together
Freight units can be created for each item and schedule line in sales order or can also be created by consolidating all he items in sales orders if they have same characteristics. Freight units can be created automatically by assigning the profile to order based and delivery based planning in case of embedded TM and created based on preceding documents I.e. OTR / DTR in standalone TM. Freight units can be created by using a background report and can be manually triggered from work-list.
Freight units are created based on preceding document data and freight unit type and building rule.
Freight unit type has very important settings described below and it is determined based on freight units building rule applied based on conditions.
Freight unit type settings-
PATH==>> SPRO==>>IMG==>>Transportation Management==>>Planning==>>Freight unit==>>Define freight unit types
Freight Unit Type fields-
If system is not able to find any freight unit building rule and other aspects then the freight unit considered as default type and if ticked then it will be automatically determined.
Default type can be ticked depending upon mode of transport i.e. road, rail and air. Only one default type is allowed per mode of transport.
Number range settings-
Time of drawing means to show the number while creating document or after saving the document and number range interval assignment.
Document deletion allowed settings and tracking changes settings.
If assigned here then it will be considered for freight order planning.
Rule for pick up/delivery window-
Time windows can be specified for pick up and delivery of goods.
Organizational unit determination-
Default purchasing org , purchasing group can be assigned to freight unit.
Direct shipment option-
It is called as shortcut planning and will come into picture when whole freight unit is full truck load and no manual intervention is needed in planning and freight order creation immediately.
Drawback- With EWM system integration it will not work.
Change controller strategy-
Any change in preceding document updated in freight unit
Freight order determination-
Default freight order type for this freight unit type can be assigned here.
Freight unit building rule (FUBR)-
A freight unit building rule is used in the automatic creation of freight units based on one or more transportation requirements. Freight units cab be split if there are some constraints.
Freight unit building rule has following consolidation strategies-
1) As much possible- Items can be consolidated from different business requirement documents for utilizing maximum capacity.
2) Per Item- Freight units are created separately for each line item in business documents.
3) Per request- Freight units are created for separately for each business requirement document.
Configuration setting is through FIORI-
1) Select application profiles and setting's and select create freight unit building rule (FUBR) -
2) Enter values-
Create freight unit building rule-
1) Create condition-
Enter condition , description , condition type and save.
2) Data access definition-
3) Go to create and maintain business data objects/parameters-
4) Go back and maintain decision table and maintain the values -
Creation of integration profile-