Updated: Aug 19, 2021
Interview Question & Answer
Q.1- What is Extended Warehouse Management System?
SAP EWM is used efficiently manage inventory in Warehouse and for supporting processing of goods movement. It allows company to control their warehouse inbound and outbound processes and movements of goods in warehouse.
The main processes in warehouse are
1) Incoming and outgoing of materials/goods.
2) Goods Receipt and Goods Issue
3) Fulfill customer orders
4) Distribution of goods
· Inbound processes involve storage of goods in warehouse and their location
· Outbound Process involves picking up the goods. Whenever a material is stored in a warehouse, it is stored in a storage bin and you can find its current location.
Q.2- What is Extended Warehouse Management System is different from SAP Warehouse Management System?
SAP EWM is a part of Supply Chain Management like warehouse management system but provides more robust and advance feature to manage key activity in warehouse.
SAP EWM is similar to WM but it provide more features like picking, put-away and RF Framework, Warehouse Structure and more flexible options to manage warehouse functions.
In EWM you can create new elements like
· Activity area
· Labor Management
· Work Centers
Which was not available WM
It is also a part of SCM and support all the processes with in logistics and supply chain.
Q.3- What are the Key features Warehouse Management?
1) Using EWM you can control warehouse activities- picking, posting, and managing storage bin and goods receipts.
2) You can set alert for change data before goods receipt from EWM to the ERP system. reversal or correction of the Goods Receipt from EWM to the ERP system and an inbound delivery split from EWM to the ERP system.
3) You can perform deconsolidation of handling unit contain different products before put-away in different storage sections.
4) You can determine storage concepts using slotting for products and optimize arrangement of goods warehouse automatically.
5) Its allows you to perform executable task like work packages, consisting of warehouse tasks warehouse employees should perform as part of warehouse management activities.
6) It allows you to manage track vehicle and Transportation Units, from yard check-in to yard-check out, including movement’s tasks within the yard.
7) SAP EWM also includes storage of and handling of hazardous substances and their transportation in accordance with regulations from SAP Environmental Health & Safety EHS.
8) In SAP EWM you can also plan labor times and resources more effectively and hence you can make your warehouse efficient by managing key resource management tasks effectively.
9) In SAP EWM you can use EWM cockpit that allows you to display warehouse key figures graphically and to evaluate or monitor activities using defined chart types.
10) You can use cross docking that allows you to perform transportation of handling units across different distribution centers or warehouses till they reach final location in warehouse.
Q.4- What are the different deployment options in EWM?
· SAP EWM can be considered as deployed in ERP server or you can also consider it as an application in SCM landscape.
· SAP EWM is integrated with ERP to access transaction and master data and use of features like slotting, availability check also requires integration with CRM.
· SAP EWM is considered as separate application and share the same server with SCM applications. You can also run SAP EWM in its own SCM environment which is suitable to get improved performance.
EWM Deployment options
· SAP EWM on SCM Server
· SAP EWM as Standalone
Q.5- How SAP ERP System communicates with EWM or CM with APO ?
SAP ERP and EWM are closely integrated with each other for transfer of transaction and master data. There are two different ways of communication.
Core Interface (CIF)
Core interface is one of the common method of communication between SAP SCM system and SAP Advanced Planning Optimization APO. Master Data maintained in ERP system like customer, material and vendor which are available in ERP system are transferred to EWM system use Core Interface (CIF).
Q.6- How do you check various menu structure of EWM system?
Login to SCM system and navigate to EWM node in SAP Menu. You can use various transactions to manage basic functions of Warehouse Management.
Maintain Inbound Delivery
Maintain Outbound Delivery
Creating Storage Bin
Confirm Warehouse Task
Warehouse Product Maintenance
Q.7- What are different Organizational Unit in EWM?
· Warehouse Number
· Storage Type
· Storage Section
· Storage Bin
Q.8- What is Storage Bin?
Storage Bins represents the physical location of storage space where the products are stored in Warehouse. They are at lowest level of organization structure and when you store an item in a Warehouse you need to mention its exact location.
Q.9- What is the use of Activity Areas in Storage Bin?
Storage Bins are further categorized in activity area, It includes activities like picking, put-away or a physical inventory. As per activity, you can assign same storage bin to multiple activity area.
Q.10- What is Quant?
The Quantity of goods in storage bin is represented by Quant. The quant is used for managing inventory in storage bin.
Q.11- How you can create Storage Bin?
Q.12- What are the Structural Elements in hierarchical structure?
· Warehouse Number
· Storage Type
· Storage Section
· Storage Bin
· Activity Area
Q.13- What is the highest unit and smallest unit in a Warehouse Structure?
The highest unit in a Warehouse is Warehouse Number and smallest unit is a storage bin.
Q.14- What is a storage section? Provide example of Storage Section?
This is part of storage type and represents a group of bins with same characteristics. Commonly used storage sections are fast moving and slow moving items etc.
Q.15- What Work Center in a Warehouse?
A Work center in warehouse is assign to a storage type and a physical unit to perform packing, deconsolidation or weighing activities. Storage type assigned to work center has a role of work center, pick point, or pick point identification. You can also configure more than one work center in a storage type.
Q.16- Where do you use Work Centers in Warehouse Processes?
· Quality Check
Q.17- How can you create a work center for packing in SAP EWM system?
To create a work center for packing, need following information
· Storage type
· Inbound Section
· Outbound Section
To define a work center, navigate to Extended Warehouse Managementè Master Dataè Work Centerè Define Work Center
Q.18- What are different Warehouse Process Type in SAP EWM System?
The different warehouse process categories that are pre defined in EWM system.
· Stock Removal
· Internal Movement
· Goods Receipt Posting
· Goods Issue Posting
· Physical Inventory
· Cross Line put-away
Q.19- What are value added services in Warehouse Management?
Value added service define the product processing to be performed in a warehouse and includes activities like packing, labeling, assembling etc.
Q.20- How do you inform employees about the work that they have to do as a part of delivery and packing specifications?
VAS order inform warehouse employees about the work that they have to do as a part of delivery and packing specification.
Q.21-What are the different components of VAS order?
A Value Added Services Order consists of the following components
· Order header
· VAS Activities to be performed
· Auxiliary products ( Packing materials, labels, oil etc)
Q.22- Where do you manage packaging specification?
Go to SAP Easy Accessè EWMè Master Dataè Packing Specificationè Maintain Packaging Specification
Q.23- How do you perform direct Goods issue in SAP EWM System?
The goods issue process in EWM starts with outbound delivery request. When an outbound delivery document is created, this process starts in ERP system. For items that are relevant in EWM, delivery document is replicated in SAP EWM system.
Q.24- What do you understand by stock removal strategy?
Stock Removal Strategy is method of determining storage bin for one or more products to be picked. You can customize stock removal rule definition table in customizing for SCM EWM.
Q.25-What do you understand by Denial Scenario in Outbound Delivery?
When an outbound delivery request is created, EWM system doesn’t create a warehouse task or task is created with partial quantity, this is called as denial scenario.
Q.26-When do you use Denial Scenario in Outbound delivery in EWM system?
When a warehouse task can’t meet the quantity requested in inbound delivery in out bound delivery request, system can be configured to raise a pick denial.
In case of stock discrepancy picked by an employee, smaller quantity as per outbound delivery and no other stock is available in warehouse, you can set the system to execute a pick denial.
Q.27- What is Storage Control?
Storage control is used to determine product movements in warehouse. It is used to execute put-away or stock removal process in warehouse.
Q.28- What are different types of storage control?
· Layout Oriented Storage Control
· Process Oriented Storage Control
Q.29- In combined storage control which one is executed first?
In SAP EWM, process oriented storage control is executed first and layout oriented storage control is executed to check if put-away step is possible in warehouse layout view and also adjust the put-away or stock removal as per layout view.
Q.30-When no storage no storage location is specified for picking in Order item, what happen?
System determines the storage location when it creates outbound delivery and copies it to delivery item.